Last updated: January 2021
We are committed to keeping your personal business personal and disclosing to you how we collect, use and disclose your information. Please be assured that we place the highest priority on protecting and keeping our customers’ personal information secure.
Use of Personal Information
“Personal information” means all pertinent personal information we collect about you including financial and credit history, creditworthiness, employment, vehicle insurance, financial, medical information if you are in a vehicle accident, as well as any other information we obtain about you in the course of your dealings with us.
We collect, use, and disclose personal information to identify you (e.g. name, date of birth, and contact information), for initial and ongoing credit assessment including determining your eligibility for credit, to maintain, manage and enforce our agreements with you, to deliver financing services to you, to collect on debts owed to us or to our affiliates, to process payments, for vehicle insurance tracking purposes, vehicle registrations, security publications and registrations, internal administration, vehicle warranties, vehicle servicing and recalls, to meet our legal and regulatory obligations, and to provide high quality customer service in establishing and maintaining your account with us and for other purposes required or permitted by law. We may also, with your consent, use your personal information to offer you products and services, as well as design and develop new products and services to serve you better. We collect, use and disclose your personal information with your consent, except as otherwise permitted or required by law. Note that consent may be express or it may be implied by your action. Note that you may refuse or withdraw your consent from collection, use or disclosure of some or all of your personal information at any time with reasonable notice, but, in some cases doing so may limit or prevent us from providing you with financing services.
Collection of Personal Information
We may gather personal information about you in the following ways:
• Information you provide to us on applications and other forms, on our online service portal, and during your transactions with us, including your name, date of birth, contact information, social insurance number, employment information, insurance and financial information including assets, liabilities and income;
• Information you provide to us when you call us or communicate electronically with us with an inquiry about your account, our services, or for any other reason, including contact information or other information relevant to your question or your account;
• We may request information about you from consumer credit reporting agencies, collection agencies, financial institutions, employers, and creditors, related to credit history and creditworthiness;
• You may provide us your bank information, including account numbers, to allow us to process pre-authorized payments for your account;
• With your consent or as otherwise permitted by law, we may obtain information about you from our affiliates, dealers, and other Volkswagen entities or dealers with which you interact; and
Your personal information may be stored at our office in Quebec located at 300-4865 rue Marc Blain, Saint Laurent, QC, H4R 3B2, in our office in Ontario, at 601Westney Road South, Ajax, ON, on servers located outside Canada (including in the USA and Germany), at the office of one of our affiliates located at 777 Bayly St. West, Ajax, ON, and/or transferred outside of Canada for processing, and may be subject to the laws of such foreign jurisdictions and may be accessed by law enforcement authorities or the local courts.
Disclosure of Personal Information
In order to provide services to you, we may share your personal information with third parties who provide services on our behalf or who provide information or services to you. We may share your personal information as follows:
• We may share your contact information and credit application status with a dealer upon your request to finance a purchase or lease transaction to allow the dealer to verify your identity and complete the transaction, as well as to facilitate warranty, recall and customer service obligations related to your purchase or lease;
• We may disclose personal information to third parties to allow us to manage your account and the financing we extend, such as insurance tracking service provider who track your insurance policy and its renewal, vehicle and lien registration service provider, and credit reporting agencies, and financial institutes to process payments;
• We may disclose your personal information to companies or other entities with which we are affiliated, such as our parent company, which may use your personal information for purposes similar to ours;
• Third-party service providers may need to access your personal information to help us to maintain accounts, prepare and issue invoices or statements, provide legal, accounting, marketing or other professional services, manage the site and app, providers that host or manage the data we collect, and otherwise facilitate the services we offer. Such third-party service providers are prohibited from using your personal information for any purpose other than assisting with our business operations;
• As necessary to prevent, detect, defend against or investigate fraud, abuse, unauthorized account activity, or security breaches;
• With your consent; or
• As otherwise required or permitted by law.
Your personal information may also be may be communicated, transferred, stored and/or processed by third party credit evaluation agencies such as Equifax Canada Co. (Box 190, Jean Talon Station, Montreal, Quebec, H1S 2Z2) and/or Trans Union of Canada, Inc. (Consumers Relations, P.O. Box 338, LCD1, Hamilton, Ontario, L8L 7W2), which may include sharing a negative report if you do not meet your obligations to us, which may have a negative impact on your credit and your credit score. You may communicate with such agencies and obtain access to your credit report and have any errors rectified, if required.
We take seriously our commitment to keep secure the data you provide us and have implemented technological, procedural and physical safeguards commensurate with the sensitivity of the data we maintain to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, loss, misuse or alteration. We maintain your personal information only as long as is necessary for our business purposes or as required by law, and thereafter we either securely delete or destroy it.
With your consent, or as otherwise permitted by law, we may share your contact information or other personal information with: (a) our affiliates (including Volkswagen Canada, Inc.), or (b) non-affiliated third parties, such as financial service providers, Volkswagen dealers, or other third parties with whom we conduct joint marketing efforts. These parties may use such information to offer you products and services, and otherwise improve the products and services offered to you. You may also choose to sign up to receive emails, texts or other electronic messages from us alone or from us and from our affiliates. You may opt out of receiving such communications at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions in each communication. Please note that even if you opt out of receiving marketing communications electronically, we reserve the right to contact you by email in connection with your account where otherwise permitted or required by law.
Changes to this Policy